It’s Father’s Day tomorrow. Why not be the ‘sweet-heart’ this year and make a yummy cookie for your dad?
What you’ll need
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions to cook
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in seeds.
- Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 6 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low; gradually beat in flour mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Roll out dough 1 disk at a time to just under a 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using templates, cut out letters with a paring knife. Reroll scraps; cut more letters (you’ll need 14 D’s and 7 A’s, total). Freeze on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets until firm, 15 minutes.
- Bake until edges are golden, 15 to 18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cookies cool on sheets set on wire racks.
Have fun with your dad this Father’s Day. Happy Cooking.