The entire Malayali community out there is on a mission to get the next version of Android named as Neyyappam.
Google is currently crowdsourcing names for the next version and with the previous versions named Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, and Marshmallow respectively, the next alphabet which got the pick was ‘N’.
The suggestions pointing out to Neyyapam sprung up soon and the trend is spreading all over Social media now. So the fact that Neyyappam is a snack is well known, the next obvious question is: how do we make Neyyappam?
Well, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- 1/2 kg of Rice Flour
- 1/4 kg of Jaggery
- 100 gm. of Chopped coconut
- 1 Banana
- 1/8 spoon of Baking soda
- Oil for frying
- Cardamom powder
In case, you don’t want oil, you can also use ghee. The Rice flour should be half boiled and not roasted. Also, the banana is optional.
To make Neyyappam;
- First, make a thick jaggery solution.
- Secondly, in ghee, fry the chopped coconut.
- Now, soak the rice flour and grind it with the jaggery solution to make a thick batter
- Into the batter, add the chopped coconut, baking soda, cardamom powder and mashed bananas
- Mix the ingredients properly and keep it aside for at least five hours
- Heat the oil in a pan and into it; pour small quantities of the batter in the size of a cookie into the oil.
- Deep fry it until it is golden brown in color. Take out and serve hot.
Tune into Cookbook for more recipes, foodie fun and more.