We don’t need to crawl through five hundred yards of crap smelling foulness to escape from summer, we have Ice Cream. Apparently, we are yet to find a better way than Ice Cream to escape from the summer. And if that Ice cream comes packed with Roasted Berries, then the enjoyment reaches an entirely different world.
The recipe of the week is Roasted Berry Ice Cream. It is a comparatively easy dish to make and at the same time, excels in the taste department. Doing the Roasted Berries first and then making the Ice Cream base would be a great idea since these two have the ability to be stand-alone dishes. The Ingredients that you will need to make the Roasted Berry ice Cream are as follows:
- 1 pint blueberries, washed
- 1 pint raspberries, washed
- 1 quart strawberries, washed, stems removed and quartered
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Now, if you have lined up all those ingredients, let’s cook some Roasted Berry Ice Cream shall we?
- Spread berries onto baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar, vanilla extract and cardamom. Stir to combine.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes. Allow it to cool after taking out from the Oven.
- Place egg yolks in a medium size bowl and whisk.
- Add half and half, fat free milk, sugar and salt to a medium sauce pan and place over medium/low heat.
- Stir constantly, until sugar and salt have been dissolved.
- Whisking slowly, pour about half cups of the milk mixture into the egg yolks in order to increase the temperature of the yolks. Be careful not to scramble the eggs.
- Add egg mixture back to the pan with the remaining milk mixture.
- Place pan over medium low heat, stirring constantly until mixture is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Strain ice cream base through a wire mesh sieve and allow cooling. Refrigerate ice cream base and roasted berry sauce for at least 4 hours.
- Add ice cream base to prepared ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spoon 1/3 of the ice cream base into a loaf pan or other freezer safe dish. Top with 1/4 cup of berry sauce. Repeat with remaining ice cream base, layering 1/4 cup of berry sauce between each layer. Swirl slightly with a spoon.
- Cover and freeze ice cream for and five hours.
There, didn’t I tell that this recipe was easy? Now scoop in and enjoy the roasted berry Ice Cream. Download the Cookbook Application for more recipes at your fingertips.