It is not necessary to be an Irish born to celebrate the St.Patrick’s Day. You only need to be Irish at heart. Similarly, the delicious St.Patrick’s Day recipes does not have any such constraints. Today we are going to take a look at such a St.Patrick’s Day special recipe in the form of Irish Stew.
The ingredients you need for the same are:
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- Oil, for frying
- 1 -ounce butter
- 1 sprig dried thyme
- 2 1/2 pounds best end of lamb neck, cut into large pieces
- 7 carrots, chopped lengthways into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 5 cups chicken stock, recipe follows
- Salt (recommended: Fleur du Sel)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, and bay leaf)
- 12 medium potatoes
- 1 bunch parsley, leaves finely chopped
- 1 bunch chives
Now, for preparing the Irish Stew,
- First, in a large saucepan, cook the onions in butter and oil. Do this in medium heat until they are translucent.
- Add the dried thyme and stir properly. Add lamb and brown on high heat.
- Now, add carrots and pearl barley. Pour in chicken stock in such a way that it covers the vegetables and meat.
- Season according to need with salt and pepper. Then add Bouquet gami.
- Cover and cook for around two hours and place potatoes on top of the stew.
- Cover and cook for another 30 minutes before the meat is falling off the bones and potatoes are fork tender.
Tune into Cookbook for more recipes.