Think twice before you use birthday candles next

The tradition of blowing birthday candles has been there since we can remember. While it is fun and there are stories attached to it, blowing candles is not exactly the healthiest thing to do.

A recent study conducted at the Clemson University has shown that every time you blow the candle, the number of bacteria on the surface of the cake gets multiplied by fourteen times.

“Blowing out the candles over the icing surface resulted in 1,400 percent more bacteria compared to icing not blown on. Due to the transfer of oral bacteria to icing by blowing out birthday candles, the transfer of bacteria and other microorganisms from the respiratory tract of a person blowing out candles to food consumed by others is likely.” The authors noted.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *