We are familiar with the five-second rule that most of us consider when a food item falls into the ground. But latest studies have shown that the food item could still be good even if it stays in the ground for more than an hour.
“Obviously, food covered in visible dirt shouldn’t be eaten, but as long as it’s not obviously contaminated, the science shows that food is unlikely to have picked up harmful bacteria from a few seconds spent on an indoor floor,” Germ expert Professor Anthony Hilton from Aston University said.
The length of time is not apparently a factor according to the studies and instead, it depends heavily on the nature of the floor and the food that is dropped.
The moist food will attract more bacteria in a lesser time whereas dry foods are known to keep off the bacteria for a long time.