There are many shocking food facts out there that will make our jaw drop. Today, we are going to take a look at something similar and it is related to washing our food.
We all tend to wash anything before cooking. This is because we have it in mind to remove bacteria from food before we cook it.
But it seems that some food items don’t require to be washed at all. Some might even be dangerous if you wash them.
- Pasta: When you wash pasta, the starch gets washed away too. Hence the overall flavor of the dish might get reduced.
- Eggs: Washing eggs may damage its outermost coating, making it more prone to the attack of bacteria.
- Poultry and fish: While washing it in the sink, the bacteria might spread to sink and countertops. So it’s healthier to cook it directly and let the heat take care of the bacteria.
- Pre-washed Salads: The package for most salads say its pre-washed or washed triple times. Those types need no washing at all and can be directly consumed.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are absorbent in nature. Hence, many cooks recommend using a damp paper towel to clean them.