In the first part of the series, we will be looking at the recipe for Mac-O-Lantern and Cheese Bowls. For making the recipe, you are going to need the following ingredients.
- Kosher salt
- 6 medium orange bell peppers
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces mild Cheddar, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
Now, these ingredients are for six servings and it can take you around 40 minutes to prepare this recipe.
How to make it
To prepare the Mac-O-Lantern and Cheese Bowls, you need to do the following:
- Boil a large pot of generously salted water. Fill another bowl with ice water.
- Cut the tops off and remove the seeds and membranes of the peppers. Then put the peppers into the boiling water and cook for two-three minutes. After this, put these peppers into the ice bath.
- After they are cool, take them out and use a sharp knife to carve a jack-o-lantern face into one side.
- Boil the water again and add the macaroni.
- Cook for about 6 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water and drain. Avoid rinsing the pasta.
- Heat the half-and-half in a large saucepan over medium heat until it just comes to a simmer.
- Continue simmering until reduced to about 3/4 cup.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until it is melted. Whisk in the Cheddar until all the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Take the saucepan out of the heat and add the macaroni to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Stir in some of the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce if needed.
- If you want, season with salt if needed.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then divide the mac and cheese among the peppers and cap each with a pepper top.
So will you be preparing this recipe for Halloween? Let us know in the comments below. Also, tune in for the next part of the series.