Empty Calories might be a term that you probably heard at one point or the other. But did you know that knowledge about these can lead to healthy eating habits?
For the uninitiated, foods that contain empty calories are basically food with no or little nutrient value. Understanding and recognizing these can help us make healthy food choices. Most of the food items that we come across in our daily life fall into this category. This can lead to many health issues as well.
Below are some food items that you should know about.
- Carbohydrate-based desserts, such as cakes, cookies, biscuits, donuts, muffins, granola bars, and more
- Sugary drinks, including soda, energy drinks, and fruit juice
- Candy bars, chocolate bars, and hard candies
- Some meats, including bacon, sausages, and hotdogs
- Some full-fat products, such as butter, shortening, and ice-cream
- Processed oils, such as soybean and canola oil
- Condiments, such as ketchup and barbecue sauce
- Fast food, including burgers, wraps, pizza, and more
While avoiding all these might not make sense or might not be feasible, it is recommended to cut down on these food items. You can always go with fruits and vegetables as substitutes as they are loaded with nutrients required for the body.
Replacing fried chicken with baked chicken is another option. You can also use herbal teas or water in place of soda and sports drinks.
These are small changes that you can bring into your daily diet but these small changes can lead to some major health benefits.
ALSO READ: What happens if you swallow orange seeds?